Re: [LUG] External USB drive

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 11:57 +0100, John Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 10:41 +0100, tom wrote:
>

> > Now you mention it I've found that before.  I think automount mounts it
> > for the user  with the 'focus' at the time its inserted so if you logout
> > etc it can disappear - blooming annoying but popping it in and out
> > normally does the trick.
> > I think the idea is that if you are logged in at the time of insert you
> > are the one that wants to use it and its hidden from anyone else. Once
> > you log out/someone else logs in it all goes a bit pear shaped tho -
> > 'old single user' thinking?
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> Thats the behaviour on my mums Ubuntu (8.04? LTS) machine. If a user
> mounts a USB device other users do not have access to it until it is
> unplugged and then plugged in again.
>
> --
> John Williams
> My linux blog of notes and guides
> http://subbass.blogspot.com/

Yes, I've seen that too - but in my case, no USB devices were
auto-mountable even after all had been removed / replugged /rebooted
etc.... at least until I created a new user and mounted them there. Also
only a problem on Gnome, USB worked perfectly on Kde, Xfce, & LXDE with
the same logon.

Most curious, just glad to have found a work-around though.

Phil