Re: [LUG] Change of distro??

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:26:16 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have been using Kubuntu for some years now, although I have stayed
> with Hardy for the last two years. It is now time for a
> change/upgrade I think.
>
> I feel that Kubuntu has lost its way a bit recently. Anyway I am ready
> for a change. I have been considering Mint 9 when it comes out. I have
> Mint v 7 on my laptop (Xfce version) and I am well impressed.
>
> However, due to some comments on this list I have been looking at
> PCLinuxOS, 2010 version which is already available. I have installed
> this in VBox (KDE version) and am mostly impressed.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience of either/both of these?
> And if so, any comments please. I think that either of these would do
> well for a Linux convert, for example.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

The question is what do you want to get out of it?

Any distro is just a collection of software, pre-configured in a
certain way.  If you're most comfortable with KDE based distros but
want the configuration tools that come with a non-KDE based distro, then
there is nothing stopping you going for a non-KDE based distro and
installing the KDE packages.

So, f'instance, you could always go for CentOS and add the KDE packages
after install.  You'd still get the CentOS tools then.

Grant.