Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

On 13/05/2010 08:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Classed addressing is history, and it's 17 years of history too - CIDR was introduced in 1993 and by 1996 all the ISPs I was working with were refering to it rather than the old classes.

Not the one I worked for - which was a major national ISP. They were still referring to having bought a block of Class B IPs in (IIRC) 1999/2000.

Good for you, but you should have been calling it a /16 and not a Class B. (Even if it did come from 128.0.0.0/10)

We were given a /16 out of the old Class A space by RIPE in 1995 as part of an early adopters testing program - and since all our routers were Unix boxes[1] running gated, it "just worked" and we immediately started to use it for our customer connections. Maybe life was simpler back then.

Just let the old classed system die in peace or left to the ramblings of the history department.

Gordon

[1] BSDi and FreeBSD