Re: [LUG] OT: - cleaning w2k box

On 12/05/10 12:43, tom wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 12/05/10 09:49, tom wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 12/05/10 08:45, tom wrote:
I've a w2k box my daughters use( still cant get wine to run properly)
and it pings an address every 10 seconds or so so I guess theres a bot
or something in there.
Its AVG but a scan from that doesn't pick it up - any ideas.
Tom te tom te tom

Install XFCE? :-)

Seriously though, um... you could try Spybot Search & Destroy
(www.safer-networking.org) and Malware Bytes (not used it myself but
lots of people recommend it).

Maybe consider upgrading to XP?

I have a legal (? unless its just too old) copy of w2k and have no wish
to either go illegal or pay a penny to MS

Fair enough. If it's an OEM version you probably can't virtualise it,
but if it's a retail boxed copy then you can probably transfer the
licence to say VMWare or VirtualBox. Actually Windows 2000 doesn't
have any activation in it anyway so it's easier to transfer (although
I'd recommend a fresh install).
It is an almost fresh install - basically:
Install from CD
windows update ad nauseam
Install FF
Install AVG
leave kids playing for a couple of hours
return and the wireless is flashing regularly
run full avg check
install wireshark
run wireshark
swear

Is there a specific application that she needs?
Its a couple of cd based games (BBC stuff) that I couldnt get to work
under wine - I'll give it another go now though...

Ahh yeah I've got some educational CDs for the kids which won't work
with Wine, it's really frustrating!

(Seriously, Windows 2000 support is ending in July -
http://www.stockwatch.in/microsoft-end-support-win2000-xp-july-25869)
Doesnt something have to start before it can finish?
Tom te tom te tom

LOL, that is true. Microsoft can't even provide media for Office 2003
anymore, their answer is to try a reseller, so 50 odd licences are
well, useless and replacing them with Office 2007 would be about £15k
for the licences alone, that's before buying new PCs to run it on.
You wouldnt try and run your lear jet on hay so dont feed your PC office
software - its just so 19thC!

I won't be feeding these PCs Office 2007, 23 of them would need to be replaced, and there would also be a cost of upgrading existing PCs. Total cost so far is around £30k plus training for staff.

OpenOffice on the other hand... free.
Memory for PCs to get them up to spec... around £300 ish.
Training... um... dunno but probably cheaper than MS Office training.

Rob