Re: [LUG] Creating a hyperlink to freshly created content on the dcglug web site?

On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:06:24 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roland Tarver wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to create a link to the content that you create
> > on the dcglug site?

Typically, start by creating a child page of an existing page. It can
always be moved around later.

> Typically I'd expect an item like that to be placed in an existing
> book (or a new book if applicable), say "Software Hints and Tips"
> when it will automagically acquire navigation. See the "Outline" tab
> when editing that node.

I've updated permissions for "contributors" - basically all
authenticated members that I knew about before the recent website
lockdown - so that *existing* book outlines can be accessed with new
pages. You should now be able to assign your pages to an existing book.
Contact a "writer" or "administrator" to create a new book. (Writers
and admins may well do that of their own accord if it seems
appropriate.)

> The site also allows one to give content a more readable URI, but I
> suspect you have to be an admin to do that?

An admin or a writer, yes. Just to try and have some sort of order.

> > After creating it, the only way I could find it again, was by using
> > the search. Is that deliberate? Or, should I be able to create a
> > link to it - say from my profile page (www.dcglug.org.uk/user/83)?

You can create a link to another page if you have permissions to edit
the page concerned. These things are always under review.

> > I could not find any instructions on the site itself and I also note
> > that others have had similar "problems".

In the first step, contact one of the "writers" listed on the
Organisation page:

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/organisation

(Itself a child page of DCGLUG contacts which is a "top level book" in
the navigation bar.)

> We are using Drupal, it has ample documentation elsewhere, I'm not
> sure reproducing it on the site would help. It should link out to the
> official drupal site where necessary.

Yes, that would be handy. There is a drupal link at the bottom of every
page but deliberate links to relevant help pages would help too. Thing
is though, a lot of the drupal.org docs are admin-biased and will often
refer to things that users of DCGLUG might not have permission to do.
Also, the various "categories" of users are just free form labels, so
what a "contributor" or "authenticated user" in DCGLUG has no relation
to similarly named categories in any other drupal site.

Sadly, that is the ongoing price we will all have to pay because of
those who abused the site when it used a more accessible system.

--

Neil Williams