Re: [LUG] Creating a hyperlink to freshly created content on the dcglug web site?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roland Tarver wrote:

<snip>

> If you want to link it from a random place you can do that in the body
> of that content, the members profile content is only viewable to logged
> in users so probably not appropriate in this case.
>
> Typically I'd expect an item like that to be placed in an existing book
> (or a new book if applicable), say "Software Hints and Tips" when it
> will automagically acquire navigation.

O ok, things are becoming clearer. :-) My apologies I am totally
unfamiliar with drupal. I must have a look at some documentation for
it....

> See the "Outline" tab when editing that node.

I do not appear to be able to edit this node, nor see an outline tab.
Perhaps you have to be an admin or a writer to do this?

Is there an authenticated user "book(s)" which I can contribute to?
and have the content automatically listed in the navigation.

> I think it people just create random nodes without regard for how they
> relate to other items on the site it would all become unwieldy and
> manic.

Understood and agreed. :-)

> You can do a "page" outside of a book, and users with relevant authority
> can add these to menus and such like, but that is a lot more cumbersome
> than just adding a page into a book as far as I can see. Doesn't seem to
> hold any great advantage except possibly a slight increase in
> flexibility in setting up menus if you don't want that content somewhere
> else as well.

Ok, I will forget about adding individual pages.

Incidentally, whilst playing I added a new "book page" and a new "story":-
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/node/92
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/node/93

But again, seem to have similar issues in terms of finding them again?

>> I created this page www.dcglug.org.uk/node/91 by way of a test, to see
>> what the site permits me to do.
>
> Keep playing.

Will do :-)

> The site also allows one to give content a more readable URI, but I
> suspect you have to be an admin to do that?
>
>> After creating it, the only way I could find it again, was by using
>> the search. Is that deliberate? Or, should I be able to create a link
>> to it - say from my profile page (www.dcglug.org.uk/user/83)?
>>
>> I could not find any instructions on the site itself and I also note
>> that others have had similar "problems".
>>
>> www.dcglug.org.uk/node/18

> We are using Drupal, it has ample documentation elsewhere, I'm not sure
> reproducing it on the site would help. It should link out to the
> official drupal site where necessary.

Ok, sorry, yes - I will have to look through the documentation.

> The blogging module is also available if you think a blog rather than
> the existing book is more appropriate location.

Noted, thanks.

> I'm still getting the hang of drupal, so I might be wrong on the above,
> but it mostly seems to make sense to me apart from the overly
> complicated image handling, so I think I'll understand it properly soon
> if they don't change it all in the next upgrade.
>
>  Simon

Thanks for your reply Simon, it has certainly helped my understanding
of how the site (drupal) works.

I still need to figure out how to post new content, to either:-
a) an existing book within the navigation, or
b) a new book (that subsequently becomes, visible in the navigation)

Many thanks
Best wishes
Roly