Re: [LUG] Creating a hyperlink to freshly created content on the dcglug web site?

Roland Tarver wrote:

> Does anyone know how to create a link to the content that you create
> on the dcglug site?

If you want to link it from a random place you can do that in the body
of that content, the members profile content is only viewable to logged
in users so probably not appropriate in this case.

Typically I'd expect an item like that to be placed in an existing book
(or a new book if applicable), say "Software Hints and Tips" when it
will automagically acquire navigation. See the "Outline" tab when
editing that node.

I think it people just create random nodes without regard for how they
relate to other items on the site it would all become unwieldy and
manic. So the Drupal way is to place content via various different types
of collections, book being one of those.

You can do a "page" outside of a book, and users with relevant authority
can add these to menus and such like, but that is a lot more cumbersome
than just adding a page into a book as far as I can see. Doesn't seem to
hold any great advantage except possibly a slight increase in
flexibility in setting up menus if you don't want that content somewhere
else as well.

> I created this page www.dcglug.org.uk/node/91 by way of a test, to see
> what the site permits me to do.

Keep playing.

The site also allows one to give content a more readable URI, but I
suspect you have to be an admin to do that?

> After creating it, the only way I could find it again, was by using
> the search. Is that deliberate? Or, should I be able to create a link
> to it - say from my profile page (www.dcglug.org.uk/user/83)?
>
> I could not find any instructions on the site itself and I also note
> that others have had similar "problems".
>
> www.dcglug.org.uk/node/18

We are using Drupal, it has ample documentation elsewhere, I'm not sure
reproducing it on the site would help. It should link out to the
official drupal site where necessary.

The blogging module is also available if you think a blog rather than
the existing book is more appropriate location.

I'm still getting the hang of drupal, so I might be wrong on the above,
but it mostly seems to make sense to me apart from the overly
complicated image handling, so I think I'll understand it properly soon
if they don't change it all in the next upgrade.

 Simon