Re: [LUG] Creating a hyperlink to freshly created content on the dcglug web site?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Does anyone know how to create a link to the content that you create
>> > on the dcglug site?
>
> Typically, start by creating a child page of an existing page. It can
> always be moved around later.

ok...

>> Typically I'd expect an item like that to be placed in an existing
>> book (or a new book if applicable), say "Software Hints and Tips"
>> when it will automagically acquire navigation. See the "Outline" tab
>> when editing that node.
>
> I've updated permissions for "contributors" - basically all
> authenticated members that I knew about before the recent website
> lockdown - so that *existing* book outlines can be accessed with new
> pages. You should now be able to assign your pages to an existing book.
> Contact a "writer" or "administrator" to create a new book. (Writers
> and admins may well do that of their own accord if it seems
> appropriate.)

Great!

I have just tried it out - and I now have the necessary permissions. I
successfully added a page, which did appear in the navigation. I
subsequently deleted the page (since the content remains un-finished).
It all worked really well.

Can I just confirm that it is NOT possible for me to remove any
content that I have not created?

>> The site also allows one to give content a more readable URI, but I
>> suspect you have to be an admin to do that?
>
> An admin or a writer, yes. Just to try and have some sort of order.
>
>> > After creating it, the only way I could find it again, was by using
>> > the search. Is that deliberate? Or, should I be able to create a
>> > link to it - say from my profile page (www.dcglug.org.uk/user/83)?
>
> You can create a link to another page if you have permissions to edit
> the page concerned. These things are always under review.

Ok, smart. :-)

>> > I could not find any instructions on the site itself and I also note
>> > that others have had similar "problems".
>
> In the first step, contact one of the "writers" listed on the
> Organisation page:
>
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/organisation
>
> (Itself a child page of DCGLUG contacts which is a "top level book" in
> the navigation bar.)

ok, will do - thank you.

>> We are using Drupal, it has ample documentation elsewhere, I'm not
>> sure reproducing it on the site would help. It should link out to the
>> official drupal site where necessary.
>
> Yes, that would be handy. There is a drupal link at the bottom of every
> page but deliberate links to relevant help pages would help too. Thing
> is though, a lot of the drupal.org docs are admin-biased and will often
> refer to things that users of DCGLUG might not have permission to do.
> Also, the various "categories" of users are just free form labels, so
> what a "contributor" or "authenticated user" in DCGLUG has no relation
> to similarly named categories in any other drupal site.

Perhaps a new "book" with simple drupal instructions, specifically for
dcglug members?

http://drupal.org/node/284

Found that useful ;-)

> Sadly, that is the ongoing price we will all have to pay because of
> those who abused the site when it used a more accessible system.
>
> Neil Williams

Neil and Simon, thanks for the advice and adjustments :-) Hopefully
they will be useful to others (rather than me alone).

Best wishes
roly

- guess I had better have a stab at writing some content now!!! lol....