Re: [LUG] This caught my eye in ASDA

On 30/04/10 20:01, John Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 19:10 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
On 30/04/10 18:19, John Williams wrote:
Its a tiny USB flash drive, and they really are small, they are also
flipping cheap in Asda.

http://bit.ly/aF0En

Aww they're sooo cute!

Yeah, I got the 8GB one in Lucid purple (hehe) for Â7.50 I think it was.
Its mainly to just stick in my wallet I think to keep handy. I could
partition it off for 2GB linux distro and 6GB(ish) document area.. I
think?

That is really good for an 8GB stick, I might get one as sometimes it's handy to transfer stuff without having to dig out my external hard drive (or use the network).

Ahh interesting, I'll have to pop over and have a look, which Adsa was it?

It was the Bideford one, when I looked online it was mentioned on
Hotdeals site and appears to be nationwide.

Â2.50 seems like a bargain and as you say they can be used for
installing Linux on.

Yeps, and coincidently the 2GB one is a nice Ubuntu Orange, the 8GB is
At A Pinch Lucid Purple..

Yeah I was thinking that. I guess the 4GB one could be 'Linux Mint' or 'OpenSUSE' green.

I can imagine that folks might be tempted to go off with one for just a
few pounds and at worst they have a cheap USB card and at best we would
have a new users.

Yep, that is true, if they were setup as persistent storage they could
be marketed as a more secure way of doing online banking etc.

Yes, that thought also crossed my mind, suggest folks even if not using
linux as a full time install then use it for online banking.

Yep, maybe as a group we could put together some quick start instructions (how to boot from USB stick, how to connect to wireless, how to browse the net, shutdown etc) and maybe bung on a copy of say the Ubuntu manual in PDF format (or maybe if we stuck Linux Mint on there which is more Windows like, stick the Linux Mint manual on there).

Yep, I'll have to have a look in Asda and maybe pick one or two up.

I am rather tempted to get a couple more myself, I did a quick read test
and its certainly quick enough, just short of 34MB/s. A review I saw
shows it beat a bunch of other USB flash drives in my own quick tests, a
different Verbatim and an HP only managed 20MB/s and 24MB/s, a Corsair
did 34MB/s also.

That's good, not sure what my current sticks do, they're not too quick but fine for doing things like BIOS updates or running a distro installer on.

Rob