Re: [LUG] This caught my eye in ASDA

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 19:10 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 30/04/10 18:19, John Williams wrote:
> > Its a tiny USB flash drive, and they really are small, they are also
> > flipping cheap in Asda.
> >
> > http://bit.ly/aF0En
>
> Aww they're sooo cute!

Yeah, I got the 8GB one in Lucid purple (hehe) for Â7.50 I think it was.
Its mainly to just stick in my wallet I think to keep handy. I could
partition it off for 2GB linux distro and 6GB(ish) document area.. I
think?

> Ahh interesting, I'll have to pop over and have a look, which Adsa was it?

It was the Bideford one, when I looked online it was mentioned on
Hotdeals site and appears to be nationwide.

> Â2.50 seems like a bargain and as you say they can be used for
> installing Linux on.

Yeps, and coincidently the 2GB one is a nice Ubuntu Orange, the 8GB is
At A Pinch Lucid Purple..

> > I can imagine that folks might be tempted to go off with one for just a
> > few pounds and at worst they have a cheap USB card and at best we would
> > have a new users.
>
> Yep, that is true, if they were setup as persistent storage they could
> be marketed as a more secure way of doing online banking etc.

Yes, that thought also crossed my mind, suggest folks even if not using
linux as a full time install then use it for online banking.

> Yep, I'll have to have a look in Asda and maybe pick one or two up.

I am rather tempted to get a couple more myself, I did a quick read test
and its certainly quick enough, just short of 34MB/s. A review I saw
shows it beat a bunch of other USB flash drives in my own quick tests, a
different Verbatim and an HP only managed 20MB/s and 24MB/s, a Corsair
did 34MB/s also.