Re: [LUG] This caught my eye in ASDA

On 30/04/10 18:19, John Williams wrote:
Its a tiny USB flash drive, and they really are small, they are also
flipping cheap in Asda.

http://bit.ly/aF0En

Aww they're sooo cute!

Some better photo's of it on here:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/665745/verbatim-8gb-usb-flash-drive-store-

The 2GB ones were only Â2.50 in Asda, and I do recall the Paignton end
of things was looking into fund raising and it crossed my mind that a
few of those, with Lucid preinstalled and even room for 1GB storage area
or so, might be of interest to interested parties at the meetings, if
you get folks coming by like I get the impression do.

Ahh interesting, I'll have to pop over and have a look, which Adsa was it?

Â2.50 seems like a bargain and as you say they can be used for installing Linux on.

If we get interest at the Holsworthy end and there isn't a problem doing
it I would be happy to get some and configure them.

That sounds like a good idea, probably quicker than burning CDs too.

I can imagine that folks might be tempted to go off with one for just a
few pounds and at worst they have a cheap USB card and at best we would
have a new users.

Yep, that is true, if they were setup as persistent storage they could be marketed as a more secure way of doing online banking etc.

Charging Â3.50 or Â4 or whatever isn't unreasonable is it, money ofc
towards LUG funds, though I have no idea in these things what that
actually means ;)

Seems reasonable. I think what Paul was thinking was if we could raise some funds then we can pay for things like room hire, banners (we already have one banner which was about Â50 ish) and maybe marketing material (a few of us have spent a few quid on CDs and DVDs to burn off distributions and OpenDiscs etc). I'm not saying the raised funds should specifically be used for purchasing CDs/DVDs and labels (I'm happy to spend a tenner on some CDs and burn some off occasionally for events, or some to leave at the Shoreline etc), but it gives some ideas on what funds could go on.

Anyways, it was just a thought.

Yep, I'll have to have a look in Asda and maybe pick one or two up.

Rob