Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Philip Whateley wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 16:05 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
On 22/04/10 15:57, NW wrote:

I have had a look but ...

I am looking for a desktop replacement. That being so I feel that I
would need a large screen, at least 17". That would normally include a
separate keypad, something I use regularly on my dekstop computer.
Perhaps I should add that, at my age, I need all the visual help I can
get. And I should have included all that in my original post. Sorry,

Regards

Neil

If you're after replacing a desktop and want to save on space why not consider one of the very small PC's that are being put out these days? You could look at the Asus EEE Box, http://www.itechnews.net/2008/06/10/asus-eee-box-b202-imac-killer/ (although it might not be powerful enough as it has an atom chip - and sorry it's a US site but they are available here).

Or similar types of machine. A small form desktop will give you more bangs for your buck and why pay for the portability you don't seem to want.

This might be better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Asus-EEE-Box-B202-Mini-Desktop-PC-Small-Ready-to-Ship_W0QQitemZ130384710724QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item1e5b88cc44

1GB RAM, 160GB disk and Â199. There are more powerfully chipped mini PC's around, google on "small form PC's" or similar.

Simon

PS. I've just switched my e-mail app to Thunderbird and don't know how to write plain text mails. How do I switch HTML off please?