Re: [LUG] base64 email bodies (was Someone on the list rejecting email?)

Juan J. MartÃnez wrote:
> El jue, 15-04-2010 a las 17:52 +0100, Julian Hall escribiÃ:
>
> I just wanted to make clear that I'm not sending any mail intentionally
> to make it hard to read in any e-mail client.

Hi Juan,

no one thinks you are as far, Gordon just mentioned his mailer doesn't
cope and the mail admin told him he should get a newer mail client, the
rest was just noise.

I am curious why Evolution is sending email in base 64 though for purely
geeky reasons.

The ISP you use mail server appears to advertise 8bit MIME, and you have
utf-8 as character set.

I tried email with some Spanish characters cut and pasted from your
email into Evolution here (which hasn't been reconfigured for 7 years
but still started okay - Debian is cool sometimes), and it sends it with
content-transfer-encoding: 8bit. I tweaked it to use UTF-7 as default
and it still sends as UTF-8 (surely a bug?), and I sent an email in
UTF-7 and it looked identical.

I see a few odd characters in headers that make me think Evolution still
has "features" I wouldn't like in an email client.

Is perhaps the ISP not advertising 8BIT MIME on the SMTP submission port
- a quick telnet or openssl command should show it if you are up for
typing SMTP manually.

Not that it matters in the big scheme of things, but almost all email
systems are 8bit clean, and can take UTF-8 encoded email without any
content-transfer-encoding (8bit is just an identify operation).

 Simon