Re: [LUG] Recommendations for a command line only address book for storing basic contact details?

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> Hello all :-)
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a command line only address book. I want
>> something fairly simple and efficient for storing basic contact
>> information. All standard stuff like: name, postal address, phone
>> numbers, emails, urls, notes etc. The total number of contacts will
>> never exceed 500 and is just for a single user (me).
>
> This is the sort of classic thing that *nix was very good at way back.. and
> it still is, but but it did require a lot of experience/learning..
>
> So, for example, the basic colon-separated file:
>
> Gordon Henderson:Drogon Towers:TQ11:01364 698
> 123:gordon@xxxxxxxxxx:http\://www.drogon.net/
>
> lines and lines like this can be indexed, sorted, searched, printed and so
> on with a few simple command-line tools - grep, sort, cut, mayby even awk...
> and a few shell-scripts to put them together - and, if you need to, it's
> still plain-text and human readable (and editbale with vim) for when the
> tools you use fail...
>
> Kids of today wouldn't believe a word of it though :)
>
> and for a few 100, or 1000 records you really don't need a fancy SQL-like
> back-end database at all.
>
> And heres a bit of trivia for you - every address in the UK can be (has to
> be!) fitted into these fields:
>
> Premises (60 characters max)
> Thoroughfare (55 characters)
> Locality (30 characters)
> Postcode (10 characters)
>
> That's the database definition for the address information as required by
> the emergency handling authority - it's what they have when you make a 999
> call!
>
> Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the reply. :-)

> but it did require a lot of experience/learning

Well, I have got to learn it sometime. Might as well make a start. hehe!

> a few simple command-line tools - grep, sort, cut, mayby even awk...

ok - that's cool.

> Kids of today wouldn't believe a word of it though

haha!

> a bit of trivia for you

How do you know all this stuff!? haha! Good trivia though! the next
time I cant find an address, due to lack of information, I'll know
why! haha.

As a compromise I think I will use this abook utility for now. It
seems close to what I wanted. But, I think I will "tinker" with a few
of the commands/formats you mention - just for fun and see what I can
come up with. If nothing else, I'll learn something! haha!

Thanks again.
Best wishes
Roly :-D