Re: [LUG] Recommendations for a command line only address book for storing basic contact details?

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the reply. :-)

but it did require a lot of experience/learning

Well, I have got to learn it sometime. Might as well make a start. hehe!

a few simple command-line tools - grep, sort, cut, mayby even awk...

ok - that's cool.

Kids of today wouldn't believe a word of it though

haha!

a bit of trivia for you

How do you know all this stuff!? haha! Good trivia though! the next
time I cant find an address, due to lack of information, I'll know
why! haha.

I know that stuff because (a) I'm old, and (b) I run a phone company.

As a compromise I think I will use this abook utility for now. It
seems close to what I wanted. But, I think I will "tinker" with a few
of the commands/formats you mention - just for fun and see what I can
come up with. If nothing else, I'll learn something! haha!

haha, indeed...

I've just had a look at abook - it's curses based - which is nice. Stores data in a text file, but multiple lines per entry with a [header] - which is windoze style and stops tools like sed, grep, etc. working nicely with it.

Gordon