Re: [LUG] SPF and false positives

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> We forward a lot of email without rewriting envelope sender because we
> handle email for many websites that are hosted and see almost no issues with
> delivery.

Thanks; that answers my question.

Still, if email from your domain might be routed through third
party-servers whose IP addresses you have no knowledge or control of,
you shouldn't publish an SPF record with ~all or -all.

To those that got back to me off-list, I hope I didn't scare you; I
certainly didn't mean to! If it hasn't caused you any problems, I
wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to do it "right" and you are
able to change your domain's DNS records, then go to the TXT record,
and replace
 ~all
or
 -all
by
 ?all

FYI "-all" means "reject all email from IP addresses that I haven't
listed"; "~all" means something similar, but says you're slightly less
sure (officially ~ should only be used for debugging/testing, but even
paypal.com uses it); "?all" means you're not sure about anything else.

Martijn.