Re: [LUG] Laptop puzzle

tom wrote:
> NW wrote:
>> tom wrote:
>>

>>> Normally on a laptop you have a set of keys (on mine UIO are 456) which
>>> work either a UuIiOo (in one mode with shift) or 456 with another key
>>> (which may or may not toggle) sometime these are set with alt gr or
>>> other key, sometimes by the incredibly complicated trick of RTFM for the
>>> machine - or as I have done on more than one occasion sticking on
>>> another version of Linux that seems to spot the eboard better!
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> I know that sometimes on a laptop there are keys which double up as the
>> equivalent of the numeric keypad. But, don't the relevant keys show the
>> secondary usage, usually with the extra characters on the keys but in a
>> different colour?
>>
> Yes but if you've got a keyboard driver that thinks the relevant keys
> are marked.....
> Tom te tom te tom

I have now searched a bit more in google. And I have looked more
carefully at the keyboard. There is indeed the equivalent of a numeric
keypad marked on some of the keys. My excuse is that the markings are
very small and not in a different colour. I now also realise that to
turn on the num lk I have to use the Fn key. A quick test shows that
they (the numeric keypad keys) do work as marked.

All the function keys have a secondary use too, but only the
increase/decrease contrast work. Well, live and learn.

I am due another eye test in May. Just as well.

Neil