[LUG] Laptop puzzle

I have used desktop computers for many years. Just recently, for the
first time, I acquired a laptop, Compaq Presario V5030EA. Getting used
to it a bit now.

Yesterday I suddenly found that I could not enter any numbers, instead I
was getting the other characters on the keys. EG, instead of 12345 I was
getting !"£$% as though I had the shift key held down.

I looked around the keyboard but could not see anything obvious that I
might have pressed in error. There is a Caps Lock key, of course, but
nothing like a Shift Lock. In the end I had to close down and restart
the computer. Then all was well.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done I have never come across
anything like this before. And I don't want to cause it again.

Thanks for any help

Neil