Re: [LUG] NHS - Summary Care Records (a bit OT)

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 10:04 +0000, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> On 21/03/2010 08:46, tom wrote:
> > Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
> >> Computers were supposed to make our lives easier.
> >>
> >> Neither of these have happened.
> Oh!
> No way true. I export.
> The ease with which email (as pure text emails) solves export and allows
> 24/7/365 communications has speeded up business and made possible
> increase in global business. For example I export to Far East (for last
> 40 years) and now we work 24 hours out of 24 by simple action that if
> question received in UK on day 1  we answer on day 1 at end of day, they
> answer by end of Japan day 2 and I have their answer at start of my day
> 2 and so on. It cuts 'engineering ' time for projects by at least 3 months.
> It used to take 2 months (sea mail) for reply interchange, 2 weeks (air
> mail very costly), then fax (lots of  special paper but big jump, but
> took maybe one to two days to get from fax machine to a specific
> person's desk with centralised fax machines, then email, cost in paper
> is only those hard records for tax/customs/export controlled goods
> (controlled technology, UF6 pumps, >60% Ni alloys etc)/insurance purposes.
> No computer no email, slow business.
>
> This is true benefit of computers to business.
> we interact by email do we not!
>
> --
> Regards
> Eion MacDonald (

I asked "But if someone could lay
> it out to me in a couple of sentences I'd be grateful" about what is
so bad about having these pretty minimal records on a national database.
So far the only answer is something about a semi remembered 20 year old
episode of a soap opera.

And maybe that bored nurses might go file surfing. They can do this
already and surely if they've forgotten their book there must be
magazines belonging to patients and staff all over the place.

What worries me about GP surgeries isn't computer records, which they
have already even if not networked, but the fact they are staffed by
gossipy partners of the GPs or similar folks. This is where a leak will
come from (if leaks are at all common), about your script for anti
psychotics etc, not from some file surfing nightnurse in a hospital
hundreds of miles away.

As I read the mail about the records it seems you can amend them. So if
you're worried just get that stuff about your abortions removed.

What worries me is these records are already so compromised by this
debate that they are almost worthless. And why should I have to pay for
database jewellery and the taxpayer for means of reading it because of
someone worried about something that happened in east enders twenty
years ago?