Re: [LUG] NHS - Summary Care Records (a bit OT)

I don't know what you do for a living and I can't see On Sat, 2010-03-20
at 17:18 +0000, Adrian Midgley (Gmail) wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 12:38 +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
>
> > > I'm opting out.
> > >
> > This seems to be rather dim paranoia, done as a sort of hobby
>
> You know what I do for a living?
>
> It isn't, primarily, a security matter.
>

> (Although, you might note that the plan is to very rapidly load data
> into the system, and add the promised access control features later.
>
> You may also if you are of an IT pedantic mind like to consider for a
> moment     what "the strongest measures" are for encryption.  Then
> consider whether they are what is in use, and then whether, if they are
> not, the leaflet you got should say that they are.  I think a PR wrote
> it, and it should say "strong", although even there ...)
>

> --

well with the current paper records there are no encryption measures in
force, apart from doctors hand writing. I don't see quite what the
problem is with this stuff being available to NHS practitioners.

I agree that these minimal records may not solve many of the issues of
patient info that is needed by the NHS. It would be no problem to me if
much more was included, but this is a start.

These issues are the sort of thing IT is supposed to solve. So to have
it blocked because people are worried about some sort of privacy issue
is depressing to be honest.

What are the objections to having this info on a national database? I
really don't understand, which is my problem. But if someone could lay
it out to me in a couple of sentences I'd be grateful.

Simon