Re: [LUG] NHS - Summary Care Records (a bit OT)

On 21/03/2010 08:46, tom wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>> Computers were supposed to make our lives easier.
>>
>> Neither of these have happened.
Oh!
No way true. I export.
The ease with which email (as pure text emails) solves export and allows
24/7/365 communications has speeded up business and made possible
increase in global business. For example I export to Far East (for last
40 years) and now we work 24 hours out of 24 by simple action that if
question received in UK on day 1  we answer on day 1 at end of day, they
answer by end of Japan day 2 and I have their answer at start of my day
2 and so on. It cuts 'engineering ' time for projects by at least 3 months.
It used to take 2 months (sea mail) for reply interchange, 2 weeks (air
mail very costly), then fax (lots of  special paper but big jump, but
took maybe one to two days to get from fax machine to a specific
person's desk with centralised fax machines, then email, cost in paper
is only those hard records for tax/customs/export controlled goods
(controlled technology, UF6 pumps, >60% Ni alloys etc)/insurance purposes.
No computer no email, slow business.

This is true benefit of computers to business.
we interact by email do we not!

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald (