Re: [LUG] OT: Browser choice screen update

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Simon Waters wrote:
> The IE7 increase makes no sense. How would you get to IE7 in the last 2
> weeks? It only runs on platforms where Microsoft are pushing IE8 (or
> something else). So suggest my stats are biased in some way (very
> possible), or that is within the noise level (seems unlikely).

Could it be that if you buy a new PC with XP/Vista installed you may
still get IE6 or 7 pre-installed? Or corporate environments where IE6
has been replaced by IE7 instead of IE8? (Because the latter might not
work with local software?)

> Assuming users pick randomly between the big 5 (okay that is an unlikely
> approximation), I'd expect this to boost every thing but IE8. With a
> much bigger boost for Safari, Opera and Chrome because 20% (1 in 5) is
> much larger than their current share, where as Firefox at nearly 20%
> wouldn't expect to show much gain.

Opera says its downloads have tripled:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9165458/Opera_downloads_triple_after_browser_ballot_screen_debut?taxonomyId=13

Martijn.