Re: [LUG] OT: Browser choice screen update

Julian Hall wrote:

> Half of which use the Microsoft created Trident rendering engine, so
> underneath they're still IE.

Interesting.

Anyone seeing any statistical evidence this is changing people's
browsing habits?

I just pulled out a day from mid February and today from a site with
over 0.5 million hits a day.

I see some suggestion that IE6 share is falling 9.5% to 8.7% (that would
be Google/YouTube telling them their browser is dying).

I see a slight increase in Google Chrome.

I see slight drop in FF and slight increases in IE7 and IE8.

The IE7 increase makes no sense. How would you get to IE7 in the last 2
weeks? It only runs on platforms where Microsoft are pushing IE8 (or
something else). So suggest my stats are biased in some way (very
possible), or that is within the noise level (seems unlikely).

Certainly so far nothing that wouldn't be explained by Google
advertising on YouTube and elsewhere except for the IE7 changes.

Assuming users pick randomly between the big 5 (okay that is an unlikely
approximation), I'd expect this to boost every thing but IE8. With a
much bigger boost for Safari, Opera and Chrome because 20% (1 in 5) is
much larger than their current share, where as Firefox at nearly 20%
wouldn't expect to show much gain.

Might be more obvious if someone has a busy site with a European or UK bias?