Re: [LUG] Win2k updating grub!!! was Re: tomtom on linux

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:06:49 +0000
tom wrote:

> I've just booted into w2k to update the missuses TomTom and, on
> truning it back into a computer, my machines menu.lst has been
> reconfigured so w2k is the default boot option!!!!
> Has anyone come across this before?
> Naughty Naughty!

I doubt that Microsoft have made a Windows 2000 update that
specifically seeks out the menu.lst file on another "unknown"
partition, reads all the various options to determine how the machine
normally boots and establish where the entry for Windows 2000 is and
modify the default boot option to make Windows 2000 the default.

If Microsoft really wanted to stop it from booting into other operating
systems, wouldn't they just overwrite your MBR and point it back to the
ntldr thingy.

Methinks perhaps your menu.lst file is using the "savedefault" option.

Grant.