Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Alex laptop aids computer novices]

Vivi Griffin wrote:

On 20 February 2010 09:19, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

        On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Vivi Griffin wrote:

            So out of curiosity, I contacted the company and asked
            them if it was
            possible for me to have a demo of their system, in Devon.
            I explained that
            due to our older population in the south west, there may
            be some need for
            such as system as theirs. Their reponse (summarised) was
            that they could
            only do a demo at their office in London.

        Oh well, their loss.

         http://www.devon.gov.uk/press-release?id=2617

         Sergeant Glenn Bullock, of Devon and Cornwall Police, said: "The
         population of Devon is getting progressively older; by 2018 it is
         anticipated that 47% will be over the age of 50.

        Gordon

    And I doubt if they will have the disposable income to even think
    about this ripoff.
    You could give them  5 days one to one over two years for that
    Tom te tom te tom

Would anyone in the group want to take on a project of designing our own DCLUG user interface aimed at older people who are new to using computer? I am not clever enough to do it but, I do know a number of possible "testers".

If these other companies can sell it - why can't we? We could make the pricing much more reasonable.
What do you think?

By the way, I have already got some feedback on my new site that it is "difficult for older eyes to read". So, only about a week since it went live, I have done a new version that enables the person looking at it to increase and decrease the size of the text. I would be most grateful if any of you would have a look and test it for me - http://sticklepath.vivaciti.net/dartmoorit/

It is important to remember that older users can be very competent - I'm no spring chicken myself! But, older users learning computing for the first time may have different issues to younger beginners.

Viv
hi viv,i am using mint 8 and google chrome,the text software works really well,excellent idea.
alex the noob