Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Alex laptop aids computer novices]

On 19 February 2010 13:50, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

'People confused and frustrated by computers can now turn to a laptop called Alex built just for them.  Based on Linux, the laptop comes with simplified e-mail, web browsing, image editing and office software.'

It's expensive!

If you have broadband (then why would you need "Alex"???) it's £399.52 PLUS £29.97 for the first 3 months, then £9.99 a month after that.

So £519.40 in the first year. (And you enter a one-year contract when buying it) With broadband and the costs go up to £74.79 + £24.99 a month, so £674.23 in the first year.

The laptop isn't particularly special either:

 http://www.welcometoalex.com/page/laptop.cfm

And I've just watched the video (well most of it)...

It's not bad - I don't recognise what's underneath - I guess it's a customer window manager like Linpus on steriods with carefully themed/skinned applciations and maybe some custom integration. I don't think it's bad, but I think it's a bit costly for what it is.

And some years back I did take my 94 year old grandfather (in law) through the process of using a computer - I installed XP on it for him, and he got on OK with it - could even send emails - eventually :) Would this have been easier for him? Not sure, but as he was a Yorkshireman he'd really not have liked paying for it !!!

Gordon

I agree with all you have said but, also know a number of older people who would like to use a computer more except that they struggle with it. One of my customers is in his 70's. He has been using a computer for years but, his usage of it is still restricted to Excel and Email. Apart from email, he hardly uses the web at all.

So out of curiosity, I contacted the company and asked them if it was possible for me to have a demo of their system, in Devon. I explained that due to our older population in the south west, there may be some need for such as system as theirs. Their reponse (summarised) was that they could only do a demo at their office in London.

I think from this, they are just targetting the wealthier South East market - perhaps that is why they think they can get away with the pricing?

Viv