Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Alex laptop aids computer novices]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

'People confused and frustrated by computers can now turn to a laptop called Alex built just for them. Based on Linux, the laptop comes with simplified e-mail, web browsing, image editing and office software.'

It's expensive!

If you have broadband (then why would you need "Alex"???) it's £399.52 PLUS £29.97 for the first 3 months, then £9.99 a month after that.

So £519.40 in the first year. (And you enter a one-year contract when buying it) With broadband and the costs go up to £74.79 + £24.99 a month, so £674.23 in the first year.

The laptop isn't particularly special either:

  http://www.welcometoalex.com/page/laptop.cfm

And I've just watched the video (well most of it)...

It's not bad - I don't recognise what's underneath - I guess it's a customer window manager like Linpus on steriods with carefully themed/skinned applciations and maybe some custom integration. I don't think it's bad, but I think it's a bit costly for what it is.

And some years back I did take my 94 year old grandfather (in law) through the process of using a computer - I installed XP on it for him, and he got on OK with it - could even send emails - eventually :) Would this have been easier for him? Not sure, but as he was a Yorkshireman he'd really not have liked paying for it !!!

Gordon