Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Alex laptop aids computer novices]

Adrian Midgley (Gmail) wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 10:01 +0000, Vivi Griffin wrote:
>

>> By the way, I have already got some feedback on my new site that it is
>> "difficult for older eyes to read". So, only about a week since it
>> went live, I have done a new version that enables the person looking
>> at it to increase and decrease the size of the text. I would be most
>> grateful if any of you would have a look and test it for me
>> - http://sticklepath.vivaciti.net/dartmoorit/
>

> Low contrast.  Black on purple.

1.1  Very bad for old eyes due to contrast /colour choice.
Black on blue is not easily read.

Best contrast for legibility is black on yellow.
(See info on emergency signs etc in petroleum industry)
Second best is non-artistic black on white or pale white background

Link colour 'dark red ? on blue is even worse.

1.2  San Serif fonts are not best for easy readability.
i, l 1 problem.   n, m rr problem.

Suggest you change to a serif font.
(As I read documents for a living, I am very conscious of legibility
with my aged 69+ (western style) & 70+ (Chinese style) aged eyes.)

1.3 Suggest you visit a dyslexic help site, which while not specific to
your task it helps understanding of "clarity' of letters or text layout
for older readers.

1.4  plus or minus click on your size adjust works well.
However you need to say "adjust by clicking on the screen + or -" as if
someone (I did) uses the plus or minus on the keyboard it does not work.
However control+  and Control- as usual in Firefox works

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald