Re: [LUG] OT: Smartphone recommendations?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:16:22 +0000
Shaun Orchard wrote:

> On 16 February 2010 22:11, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The minefield of app signing can be awkward until you hack it.
> > ÂThere are a bunch of different methods of hacking the phone - the
> > latest that I recall involved replacing some of the files on the "Y
> > drive".
> >
> > Grant.
> >

> Unless you use the Symbian Signed site (but you can't do that with all
> applications, only one with application UIDs in the "test" range), the
> current thinking is to give your IMEI to some dodgy chinese site and
> they pump out a certificate for your phone with which to sign. Seems
> to work and doesn't affect firmware updates.
>
> Shaun

The nice thing about hacking it, though, is that it eliminates the need
to perform this rigmarole for every unsigned app you want to install.
There's even a little app that lets you turn on/off the hack - so you
only enable it when you want to install an unsigned app, then turn it
back off again... the app still works fine as the signing bit is only
ever checked at installation time.

Grant.