[LUG] OT: Smartphone recommendations?

Hi All,

I know this is not *really* anything to do with Linux, but as you're all pretty experienced with technology I thought it the best placed to canvass opinions.

The battery on my TomTom is dead so can only be used wired up in the car, and it occurs to me that a smartphone with GPS built in would be a good idea, especially as it would give me the advantage of having both devices in one. Therefore I would like opinions on which smartphone is best for GPS functions? I'm not *overly* interested in what else the phone can do; I already have a digital camera, webcam and MP3 player - the latter rarely used (in fact I can't think where it is!). Having said that it is nice to know when particular features *are* present whether they do their job well or not. I am on a contract (with Orange) at the moment. Thinking of moving to O2 as a couple of people I know have done so and got much better signal in the area.

I've looked at The Gadget Show website and so far the HTC Tytn, Blackberry and iPhone look interesting. I've heard conflicting opinions about Nokia - one person said they use Symbian and the GPS software hasn't been updated in four years so he can't get new maps; another say this is rubbish. They can't both be right. Currently I have a (non-smart) Motorola Razr2 V9.

Kind regards,

Julian