Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Rhia Knowles wrote:
> OK well when i was talking lots of laptops I was actually talking
> Student laptops. most people there do have their own, thats why the
> student Wifi net was down, there was apparently too many users!
>
> So yeah on Saturday lets have a talk, let me know what you guys
> usually do when you invade places, when are good days for people, so I
> can go to the college Liason team and the IT Helpdesk, and seeing what
> they say. Number of participating bodies, dates, what we require from
> them (there is a nice large open area (known as 'The Street') on the
> ground floor overlooked by the other floor balconies where these
> things usually take place, so I would say probably a few tables and
> permission to set up there minimum.)

Ok on a basic level

Power sockets
tables / chairs
multi way plug sockets

wifi (if possible)
parking (very useful)

This is optional but at previous lug meets we have something called lug
spaghetti,  which essentially refers to the mass of cables that go with
computers,  wireless avoids some, so

access to rubber covering, so we can avoid trips / falls on cable, or
access to tape so we can tape this down,  may as well be safety
consious. whatever the college policy is on this,  may be better to have
tables near sockets so access to wiring can be avoided.

access to broom, bin, dustpan / brush, so we can give area a quick sweep
over once finished,  when we met at the rugby club we tried to leave the
place as tidy as possible, it gives the lug a good impression which
means we have a better chance of going back

if we leave it a tip then they may think twice.

we may need 1/2 hour either side of event to set up / clear away.

Access to food / drinks is handy so leave vending machines on (can you
give an idea of prices for cans of coke,  drinks, coffee / tea etc so we
can bring change etc.

In the past we have had meetings in evenings, which worked well at the
rugby club / shoreline

Last time I was at south devon college was for an open university
meeting,  no buses stopped out side as it was saturday, so I think a
weekday evening may be better.  It may be different now, not sure.

may want to source some cloths or covering for tables,  pc's do have
rubber feet, but older PC's may have these worn, exposing screws sharp
bits  so may be nice to avoid scratching tables.

hope this helps

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details