Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Quoting Rhia Knowles <rhiadratech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I believe the IT team at SDC do have some awareness of Ubuntu, at least
speaking to Rick at the SDC radio station, it seems they use some Open
Source stuff.  I also believe they do have some Linux in-house on servers.

Nice to know at least one of the IT Staff at SDC is Ubuntu friendly. I
tend to leave em to it TBH.

Yep I gather they're mainly a Windows shop, but I'm sure they will have at least heard of Ubuntu. You could be worth speaking to them first though to make sure they don't have any objections. In fact would internet access be required? If not, then the machines wouldn't need to touch their network.

If Internet access was desirable then why not use a mobile broadband modem.

Thoughts? I offer my services as woman on the spot to talk to college
and see what the issues are on their side.

That's good, since you're already there you might find it easier to find the
person to speak to.

good idea,  i am usually free during the week, but would bve worriedf
about my new netbook getting damaged,

I'm sure it would be fine.

I second this. Most of the students here have laptops now. It somehow
bypass the filters! Though I've come in today the Wifi is down, so I
suspect they have finally cottoned on...

If you do want to use their wifi, I'd say get confirmation from the IT team first that it is okay to attach an Ubuntu laptop to their wifi (I wouldn't see there being any issues as long as it's up to date, but it's always nice to at least double check), and as mentioned above, any problems using their wifi, just plug in a mobile broadband modem.

I am happy to help out,  can the college supply some PC's we can set up
with ubuntu on so we can demo ?

Doubt it. There is a shortage of PCs anyway. But as i say lots of
laptops available

College laptops or our own personal machines?

I think it would be easier if we could provide our own machines.

i thin 20 cd's cost about £20 from the ubuntu shop I am not sure if  they
are giving away lots of cd's any more, i did read that was  stopping, there
could be exceptions to the new policy if this exists.

I gather they are giving out free CDs (at least single CDs) to new users,
that's not to say they may give out free CDs for a specific event.

Well, if we do have Linux aware members of staff, we could probably
manage fine with CDRs,

Probably, again double check to make sure it is okay.

Being a college, I'm assuming 'kiddies' means 16 upwards.

Yeah it does. I'm almost 30, doing an adult course, but most of the
faces just look so young to me, I forget that 16-18 isnt really
considered a kid. (Could be worse, I could have called em Monsters :P)

Meh, you're practically a kiddie yourself :-D

(Okay, I can't talk at 31!)

Rob