Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

> I believe the IT team at SDC do have some awareness of Ubuntu, at least
> speaking to Rick at the SDC radio station, it seems they use some Open
> Source stuff.  I also believe they do have some Linux in-house on servers.

Nice to know at least one of the IT Staff at SDC is Ubuntu friendly. I
tend to leave em to it TBH.

>>> Thoughts? I offer my services as woman on the spot to talk to college
>>> and see what the issues are on their side.
>>>

> That's good, since you're already there you might find it easier to find the
> person to speak to.
>
>> good idea,  i am usually free during the week, but would bve worriedf
>> about my new netbook getting damaged,
>
> I'm sure it would be fine.

I second this. Most of the students here have laptops now. It somehow
bypass the filters! Though I've come in today the Wifi is down, so I
suspect they have finally cottoned on...

>> I am happy to help out,  can the college supply some PC's we can set up
>> with ubuntu on so we can demo ?

Doubt it. There is a shortage of PCs anyway. But as i say lots of
laptops available

> I think it would be easier if we could provide our own machines.
>
>> i thin 20 cd's cost about £20 from the ubuntu shop I am not sure if  they
>> are giving away lots of cd's any more, i did read that was  stopping, there
>> could be exceptions to the new policy if this exists.
>
> I gather they are giving out free CDs (at least single CDs) to new users,
> that's not to say they may give out free CDs for a specific event.

Well, if we do have Linux aware members of staff, we could probably
manage fine with CDRs,

> Being a college, I'm assuming 'kiddies' means 16 upwards.

Yeah it does. I'm almost 30, doing an adult course, but most of the
faces just look so young to me, I forget that 16-18 isnt really
considered a kid. (Could be worse, I could have called em Monsters :P)