Re: [LUG] OT:Agricultural Census 2010

richard wrote:

By the way feeding household waste to pigs is now illegal!

AFAIR (last time I checked was a couple of years ago), it's only illegal
if you want to sell the meat or allow people outside your immediate
family to eat it.

However, Tom said "allotment waste" and there's no issue with feeding
that to pigs that I'm aware of.  It's only once they've been taken into
a food prep area that there's a problem because of the perceived risk
of contamination.

I *think*, though I'm not certain, that if you have a completely
separate prep area for uncooked veg then it's ok to feed waste from
that to pigs.

<saddle up hobby-horse>

Of course, much of the DEFRA/Food Standards documentation says "thou
shalt do *this*" when that's not actually true.  It may be "practically
correct" as far as industrial-scale farming is concerned and quite
possibly also the understanding of the people who work in those
organisations, but not actually the letter of the law.  The bee-keeping
association I'm a member of had an instance recently where the local
Food Standards department obtained a list of all members and wrote to
us threatening sorts of trouble if we didn't register for this and
comply with that when in fact there's a specific exemption in the law
for small-scale producers.

James