Re: [LUG] OT:Agricultural Census 2010

tom wrote:
> richard wrote:
>> tom wrote:

>>> many many people do work part time on farms - they have other jobs. On
>>> the farm next door to me - some 300 acres altogether - most of the
>>> family have other jobs, shal we ignore them too?
>>> What this will mean is that we WONT know. Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> did they say what the minimum size was? 50 acres would be a viable veg
>> farm,  but  if  policy is made to suit retired accountants with a couple
>> of llamas would that be a good thing?
>>  it is a damming engagement of agricultural policy over the last 30
>> years that your neighbours have to have other jobs in order to make a
>> living in the only really essential industry in the world.
>>
> They havent said what the minimum size is yet. But during the war 1.4
> million allotments produced 1.3 million tons pa. Now an allotment is
> 302 sq yds  and an acre is 4840 sq yds so were talking 15 tons an acre
> as opposed to 200lb of beef or 1 ton of wheat. And you'd get a good
> 1/2 pig from an allotments waste.
> So where would you start. Theres about 300,000 holdings in the UK but
> I cant find figures on size distribution but I'd imagine its skewed to
> the lower end. So lets be generous and say 50,000 at 10 acres they
> reject that's greater than the total vegetable crop production area
> for the UK. Its going to be statistically VERY significant  whatever.
> But if you dont collect the data...!
> Tom

 if you only get a ton of wheat you are going very wrong somewhere!
commercial potatoes should produce about 20 tons/acre, and beef 300kg
livewieght or more. By the way feeding household waste to pigs is now
illegal!
for their justification  of their  method see ;
http://www.defra.gov.uk/esg/work_htm/publications/cs/farmstats_web/1_ABOUT_THE_SURVEY/FAQs_ABOUT_THE_DATA_AND_SURVEY/Introduction.htm#samplingstrategy