Re: [LUG] Old PC for toddlers playgroup - Exmouth

Paul Sutton wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:

I don't think we should be promoting piracy on the list, even if it's
only technical piracy (I know it's silly that you can't transfer the
license, but that is Microsoft, if you don't agree to the EULA then
don't use it, same as if you don't agree to the GPL, don't use it).
I agree, If we were to explain the situation and then explain how they
need to fork out lots of money on a legal copy of windows, when there is
a free solution in free software,  the fact MS's own rules prevent us
just grabbing any cd and instlling can work in our favour and against
Microsoft.

Lets give them the facts and let them choose.
Yep, in fact isn't it Microsoft who say 'Get The Facts?'. :-)

At the end of the day, if they really do end up wanting Windows then
fair enough, we can provide some some Free educational stuff, in fact we
could even provide copies for the kids parents to take away and use in
the form of the OpenDisc.

Rob

Yeah, well the get the facts comment was more we need to give people the
choice, or tell them there is a choice one is free (cost + freedom) may
run_software you want, but there could be free alternatives to those
programs.

The other costs money but will run your software,

Yep I know.
I don't think any group should advocate piracy, think of the fuss the
free software community creates if someone fails to respect the GPL
properly.
I agree. Organisations such as the Business Software Alliance and FAST tend to make an example of businesses who don't use legal software, even if it's unintentional.
So yeah perhaps they are happy to stump up 50+ quid for a copy of
windows, or may say hmm i didnt know there was an alternative, lets give
that ago.  However if we are installing linux please please mnake sure
we are willing to help and support them in its use, and help fix problems.
Yep, thats why it would be handy if any of the members in the Exeter/Exmouth area could possibly assist them.
Perhaps invite them to the lug list.
Can do, or at least a LUG meeting.

Rob