Re: [LUG] Old PC for toddlers playgroup - Exmouth

On 29 January 2010 11:46, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Vivi Griffin <vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Rob / Paul

They would probably want a Windows PC if asked but, I would prefer to offer
them a Linux PC with some really good educational sofware on - like Paul
mentioned. I don't know exactly what CDd and DVDs they have that their
running requirements. Like Paul said - they may run under Wine.
Alternatively, if they have a licensed copy of Windows, it could be
installed using Virtual Box and the DVD's / CD's run that way.

Viv

If they want to run Windows in VirtualBox then they will need a full retail boxed licence of Windows, an OEM version (the one where you get the sticker stuck to the side of the PC) won't be suitable.  It's not that it won't work on VirtualBox, it's more the fact that it is against the licence terms to transfer an OEM licence from one machine to another.  When a PC with an OEM licence attached to it dies, the licence dies with it.

Yes, it's b*****y annoying, all those useable Windows licences just dying like that.

If you can find out what they already have, then maybe we could get the PC they already have fixed, otherwise look at the possibility of getting a machine together.  Do you know if the machine is connected to the internet?

Maybe we could provide them a PC running Linux, and also get their existing PC up and running.  That way they could run their existing stuff on one PC running Windows but also install things like the Windows version of Tuxpaint, GCompris etc, and also provide them a PC running Linux so they can also run Tuxpaint, GCompris etc on that, and maybe if possible the other Windows stuff on Wine.

I'll also have a word with the guys were I'm doing a contract at the moment, they lease their PCs from Lenovo, but I think they have some old machines that they own which are pretty old now (I'm thinking early P4 or late P3), I'll ask if there is any chance they could donate one.

Rob

Thanks very much for that Rob. I can try to find out more about their 'broken' PC - I understand that it is sparking when used so, it sounds quite serious and almost certainly dangerous. For me, the bottom line is that unless they that can supply a legal full retail copy of Windows, then they will have to make do without it. I will try to find out more. However, a separate Linux PC would be most appreciated - especially if is has lots of educational and kiddie friendly stuff on it. I will see what more I can find out.

Viv