Re: [LUG] Primary School BB costs

Quoting Rhia Knowles <rhiadratech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

My comment: Severely restrictive, overzealous filtering, usually.

If they want a open source filter, there is Dansguardian. or for a
filter/firewall combo, what about Smoothwall. Im sure it could save them a
ton of cash. All they need is a spare PC with a pair of network cards for
Smoothwall. And its Linux based, of course, or I wouldnt be mentioning it
here.

Of course, as a school they wouldnt be able to use Smoothwall Express (the
Free version) but Smoothwall itself looks easier to set up anyway, for
non-linux Geeks.

As a school they could well be eligible for some sort of educational discount. Other than that there is always IPCop with SquidGuard.

I was looking into SquidGuard recently and found a couple of scripts which could keep it updated with the latest filters, filters which are available free (as in beer) for personal non-commercial use.

Problem is though getting someone to support it. I guess some schools just want to pay a flat fee and have done with it.

Rob