Re: [LUG] Primary School BB costs

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, tom wrote:

My girls primary school (150 headcount) appears to be going to pay £25000 for BB over the next couple of years!!
I haven't approached the head for exact figures  but this sounds horrendous.
Any comments - I've obviously done the really expletive on pretty comprehensively myself.

That'll be the SW Grid For Learning then... A govt. quango outsourced to ... er, I think.. RM? who just hand the cash over to BT ...

They privide a heavilly filtered feed, often via leased lines - last time I looked, it was 2Mb (each way) to a primary schools and 8Mb to secondary, but I suspect they've raised the speeds since then. (I'd like to at least hope they have, anyway). It's all part of a big private network managed by BT (or was). The expensive part is the "last mile" to the school, especially if it's using traditional leased line technology (be that copper or fibre) and the cisco routers, etc.

Looking at ADSL - you might look at a good business package - or two. One for the admin side of things and a totally separate one for the teaching side. If theycan get 8Mb, then a good business quality service would probably be OK - at £30 a month depending on data usage. I can't see that a primary school gets up to much, but I'm a bit out of touch these days (and the only one I have anything like hands-on experience with is the local Steiner school and they may not be representative of a mainstream primary school)

However it's probably the filtering that they sell it on - keeps the kiddies squeaky clean and all that.

Personally I think it's a rip-off, sponsored by our very own government, giving money needlessly to RM and BT.

Gordon