Re: [LUG] Primary School BB costs

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:52:24 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, tom wrote:
>
> > My girls primary school (150 headcount) appears to be going to pay
> > Â25000 for BB over the next couple of years!!
> > I haven't approached the head for exact figures  but this sounds
> > horrendous. Any comments - I've obviously done the really expletive
> > on pretty comprehensively myself.
>
> That'll be the SW Grid For Learning then... A govt. quango outsourced
> to ... er, I think.. RM? who just hand the cash over to BT ...
>
> They privide a heavilly filtered feed, often via leased lines - last
> time I looked, it was 2Mb (each way) to a primary schools and 8Mb to
> secondary, but I suspect they've raised the speeds since then. (I'd
> like to at least hope they have, anyway). It's all part of a big
> private network managed by BT (or was). The expensive part is the
> "last mile" to the school, especially if it's using traditional
> leased line technology (be that copper or fibre) and the cisco
> routers, etc.
>
> Looking at ADSL - you might look at a good business package - or two.
> One for the admin side of things and a totally separate one for the
> teaching side. If theycan get 8Mb, then a good business quality
> service would probably be OK - at Â30 a month depending on data
> usage. I can't see that a primary school gets up to much, but I'm a
> bit out of touch these days (and the only one I have anything like
> hands-on experience with is the local Steiner school and they may not
> be representative of a mainstream primary school)
>
> However it's probably the filtering that they sell it on - keeps the
> kiddies squeaky clean and all that.

I understand that it can be time consuming finding websites and adding
them to a filter list that Schools can use, but surely there's another
way?  Is there not a way for Squid to subscribe to an externally
available filter list?  Maybe a centrally available list that Schools
can subscribe, contribute to and locally override if necessary/desired?

Grant.