Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile data, WAS: Interesting Linux info

Quoting Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>

And frankly, I have no problem with any ISPs free usage policy. Why?
Because when you go over, they don't charge you a fortune or cut you
off completely. They just slow your connection down. The fact that
mobile service providers aren't doing this shows just how low their
limits are.

Virgin aren't too bad on this respect. I go over my limits occasionally (last time I think it was when I was trying to find a Linux distro for my PS3). Luckily being on 20Mbit broadband they only slow it down to about 5MBit anyway so it's still perfectly useable for just about anything I can throw at it (Youtube/iPlayer streaming usually).

Saying that, I was pleased with Enta's hard limits. I knew where I stood on my usage (i.e. I could use 45GB peak and 300GB off peak) and the Enta web site had a fairly good portal which told me what my usage was so if I was getting near to my limits I could curb my usage.

What really gets me though is some ISPs which don't have clear limits, they just seem to throttle for the sake of it *cough* BT *cough*.

Rob