Re: [LUG] Chrome browser - website flashing images

Quoting Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Paul Sutton wrote:
Rhia Knowles wrote:
With me I am asperger syndrome which means mildly autistic. The flashing
adbanners do what they are supposed to with me - They get my attention,
the problem is, they also keep it so I cant focus on the text of the
webpage.

Anything flashing or moving and if I dont have adblock then I cant read
your webpage. I have often wanted to email the site owners who complain
about people who block adblock plus users and ask: Is rendering me
functionally illiterate worth the few pennies you get from the odd
person clicking on those banners?

sligtly off topic here

You make a very interesting point here.   I think its something that
would make people think,  I wonder if its worth you sending the above
note to one of the Linux or web design magazines for publication.

On a related note how do these ads affect people with epilepsy, or
perhaps photosensitive epilepsy,  i know the news programs warn when
there will be flashes, usually photography, but these ads are sometimes
far worse,

I think the above would make an ideal addition to course materials on
web design, under a heading of considering your audience.  Unless this
is already covered,  it seems not given the number of sites with moving
or flashing images.

I work in a school I just wondered if it would be ok to print the above
off, and get any kids designing webpages with flashing images etc to
have a read and consider what has been said.  I am sure this is part of
the nat curriculum even though they probbaly use MS word or publisher
for the design, (but that is a different issue).

I won't use your name, just perhaps put in my resource folder as
something to consider,  maybe also show it to any children with Autism
and get their feedback on it too.

Paul

I now this is OT re Linux but is spot on re health.

I have a work colleague whose son went into a very bad epileptic fit
over a flashing web page in IE, which caused major problems, not least a
longer lasting  continued fear or browsing that effected his his ability
and confidence to use a computer for school work.

We installed Firefox for him with add block and (I forget the add-on
name) an add-on that stopped all flash programs and substituted a  blank
space with a click button to see the flash content only by request.

I think this is very important to get over to any web site preparation
class of pupils

Some good points there, I don't suffer from epilepsy myself (although I do know someone whoose daughter does suffer quite badly from it). I find that some of the Flash adverts/animated gifs aren't too bad, but there are some which are really really annoying, there is one that I've seen that flashes in bright colours saying something like "You've won an iPod".

I've got an Adblocker installed on Chrome now but I generally use Firefox because I find the adblocker to be much better. There is another way around it too with an adblocking proxy server (can't remember the name of it), but some things do get through. I find Adblock Plus on Firefox (and now Thunderbird) to be very good.

I believe the Flash blocking addon for Firefox is called Flashblock.

Maybe an article would be useful, to let people know that they don't have to put up with adverts.

Rob