Re: [LUG] Chrome browser - website flashing images

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rhia Knowles wrote:
>> With me I am asperger syndrome which means mildly autistic. The flashing
>> adbanners do what they are supposed to with me - They get my attention,
>> the problem is, they also keep it so I cant focus on the text of the
>> webpage.
>
>> Anything flashing or moving and if I dont have adblock then I cant read
>> your webpage. I have often wanted to email the site owners who complain
>> about people who block adblock plus users and ask: Is rendering me
>> functionally illiterate worth the few pennies you get from the odd
>> person clicking on those banners?
>

> sligtly off topic here
>
> You make a very interesting point here.   I think its something that
> would make people think,  I wonder if its worth you sending the above
> note to one of the Linux or web design magazines for publication.
>
> On a related note how do these ads affect people with epilepsy, or
> perhaps photosensitive epilepsy,  i know the news programs warn when
> there will be flashes, usually photography, but these ads are sometimes
> far worse,
>
> I think the above would make an ideal addition to course materials on
> web design, under a heading of considering your audience.  Unless this
> is already covered,  it seems not given the number of sites with moving
> or flashing images.
>
> I work in a school I just wondered if it would be ok to print the above
> off, and get any kids designing webpages with flashing images etc to
> have a read and consider what has been said.  I am sure this is part of
> the nat curriculum even though they probbaly use MS word or publisher
> for the design, (but that is a different issue).
>
> I won't use your name, just perhaps put in my resource folder as
> something to consider,  maybe also show it to any children with Autism
> and get their feedback on it too.
>

> Paul

I now this is OT re Linux but is spot on re health.

I have a work colleague whose son went into a very bad epileptic fit
over a flashing web page in IE, which caused major problems, not least a
longer lasting  continued fear or browsing that effected his his ability
and confidence to use a computer for school work.

We installed Firefox for him with add block and (I forget the add-on
name) an add-on that stopped all flash programs and substituted a  blank
space with a click button to see the flash content only by request.

I think this is very important to get over to any web site preparation
class of pupils

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
 If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.