Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile data, WAS: Interesting Linux info

On 16/01/10 17:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:
So, does that mean that my 'unlimited Internet' on my Palm Pre is
limited to 1GB/month?

Very probably.. The unlimited means they're not limiting what you can do
with it.

Ecept they are - as you'll probably find that "streaming" is prohibited
in their T&Cs... And they'll force-proxy all your web traffic.

Oh yes, this is another important question I can't find an answer to. (If mobile service providers had even half an ounce of sense I wouldn't need to ask this question). Are they going to block traffic to certain ports? I don't want to have to mess with tunneling SSH and the like via HTTP proxy. That's just silly.

They're outright liars - just like the broadband companies who lie about
their unlimited data packages too, yet no-one has challenged them about it!

It's not so bad for broadband. Most operate an actual 'fair usage policy', where it's only a problem if you go nuts on p2p 24/7. Unlike mobile service providers, who just use 'fair usage' as a guise for false advertising.

And frankly, I have no problem with any ISPs free usage policy. Why? Because when you go over, they don't charge you a fortune or cut you off completely. They just slow your connection down. The fact that mobile service providers aren't doing this shows just how low their limits are.