Re: [LUG] Chrome browser - website flashing images

Paul Sutton wrote:

Rhia Knowles wrote:
With me I am asperger syndrome which means mildly autistic. The flashing
adbanners do what they are supposed to with me - They get my attention,
the problem is, they also keep it so I cant focus on the text of the
webpage.

Anything flashing or moving and if I dont have adblock then I cant read
your webpage. I have often wanted to email the site owners who complain
about people who block adblock plus users and ask: Is rendering me
functionally illiterate worth the few pennies you get from the odd
person clicking on those banners?

sligtly off topic here

You make a very interesting point here.   I think its something that
would make people think,  I wonder if its worth you sending the above
note to one of the Linux or web design magazines for publication.
Go check out http://www.w3.org/WAI/
my last proper job ( I've lived here too long...) was doing Accessibility.
One thing that is not apparent from the initiative is that, once you've got your site 'accessible' you suddenly realise that all the stuff you got rid of to make the accessible version is just a massive collection of redundant 'street furniture' on the information highway. We found that if we started a 'site' from scratch, made it WAI3 from the start then any attempts at 'flashing it up' (in all senses of the phrase) actually downgraded the 'user experience' for all users - and maintenance costs dropped by 95%. The simple task of organising the task logically made as good as it could get. People dont come on to your site to be impressed by your flashness - unless they are other designers without a clue.
Tom te tom te tom