Re: [LUG] OT: Snow was Why don't they learn

On 01/07/2010 05:14 PM, James Fidell wrote:
It would be interesting to know whether the predicted anthropogenic
2-3degC rise is in addition to the 5degC we can expect as a result of
solar activity, or whether the 2-3deg is the net effect of solar
activity, greenhouse gas emissions and particulate emissions reducing
solar absorption.

It might be interesting, but I'm not entirely sure it matters.

The predicted effects of a 2C rise in average global temperatures are
pretty unpleasant.  If that happens and the predictions are correct,
it's not infeasible that millions of people will die.  I'm sure I recall
people saying at Copenhagen that a 2C rise is considered inevitable by
many climate change scientists.

The predicted effects of a 3C rise look very desperate.  Many heavily
populated areas of the world could become all but uninhabitable.

If "global warming" is inevitable then I think the argument over how
much of it is anthropogenic or otherwise is only really useful in terms
of its contribution to our understanding how we might mitigate or cope
with its effects.  Much as I think a bit of population thinning might
be beneficial (especially if I get to chose :) I don't particularly
wish to reach the point where we say "Well, no signficant proportion of
it is happening because of us, so we'll just stick our heads in the sand
and see who survives".

James
well chaps, im not at all religious but i seem to remember when i was a lad reading a book that mentioned floods and things :) not to mention planet "X" 21.12.2012 !!

--
bas.