Re: [LUG] BSD

FreeBSD is said to be the "official" - somewhat similar to Ubuntu but more so.
NetBSD is another, for portability runs on tonnes of architectures...
OpenBSD is way more secure than most other things - much more so than
Linux - "2 remote holes in the default installation in a hell of a
long time".

The commands vary quite a bit from Linux - but being POSIX-compliant,
they are quite similar and programs can be compiled for them (Native
Linux ELFs can also run using a Wine-like compatibility layer).

I have tried all 3 main ones, plus PC-BSD (which tries to make FreeBSD
easier). They're pretty good. I am thinking of using one as a base for
a distro of mine.

The BSD license is vry short - it just entails you can do anything to
the software as long as you credit the people who made it (you don't
have to keep it free, like Linux).

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Dan