Re: [LUG] OT: Snow was Why don't they learn

bas wrote:

> love the idea of global warming, just not
> the extreme cold winter bit !

I'm not sure you've quite got the idea of what is expected to happen
when the globe (or its surface at least) warms a few degrees.

The climatologists (at UKMO at least) believe that any warming will be
greater than any cooling caused by disruption to the Gulf stream,
although they don't think the Gulf stream will be disrupted either at
least not in the medium term. My recollection of where I heard this is
vague, I think it was the Met Office Youtube channel, interview with
Professor Slingo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTVxzhjbvQ

My understanding of the Gulf stream causes was wrong, apparently the
major driving factor is the trade winds, and the mid-latitude
westerlies, and shape of North America, none of which are going to
change (hopefully) in the time scales of interest (and various
conservation laws of physics, which hopefully aren't going to change any
time soon either?!). I thought the salinity changes causes by sea ice
formation were more important than they are, they are important but
probably on much longer time scales.

On the other hand if you remember the winter of 1963, then you are
probably at least a decade older than me, and so presumably will be
surprised if you are still around in 2050.