Re: [LUG] music software for Linux - was discussed at lug meet on saturday

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:29:22PM +0000, dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I use music software a lot in Linux. This is my stack:

<snip>

> Hope someone finds it useful! Any questions about it, ask me.

Have son who has a whole bunch of music written on cubase(?): he is bringing
home his ubuntu machine at Christmas to have it converted to Windows (or
is buying a desktop windows machine), depending on hardware
requirements.

Apparently because "nothing works" on his ubuntu machine. I believe he
is irritated because he cannot run exe files and has had problems with
viewing / listening to some internet radio stations. (I do not know
which ones). He also has a fair size cubase collection of music (I think
~ 1Tb) is cubase.

If I get the opportunity I will obviously see what the problems are and
see if there are easy solutions. Two solutions that are probably
required are:
- Installing the w32 codecs
- Getting him access to his cubase files: and here I cannot find any
  reference in google to accessing cubase on linux

The last version of cubase he had was I think about 3 - 4 years old: I
do not know if he is willing or if he is required (for collaboration
purposes) to upgrade.

Two questions
- Do you know of how (if) cubase files can be run with a floss package?
- Is it worth suggesting to him learning how to use Ubuntu studio and if
  so what package should he use instead of cubase?

Finally if he is willing to give Ubuntu Studio a try over Christmas, can
he use "normal" programs with that? eg Openoffice, email etc. I presume
yes but ...

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.