Re: [LUG] Linux manners

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 09:33:55PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:16:53PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
Vi(Vim) vs Emacs :)
Oh yeah, that's worse than a holy war isn't it?

Personally I'm in the Vi camp :-)

I don't understand why there's so much debate about this. Vi is quite
obviously better; why would anybody bother using Emacs?

yikes what have I started,  I use joe :) much nicer,  I think Neil
(flash) uses nano,

the one advantage I see with vi is once loaded it tells you how to exit,
 which is more than what Emacs does.  I will stick to joe, and LyX.

Heresy! *Vim* might tell you how to exit, but real vi doesn't. If you
need that sort of handholding then there's no hope for you.

Emacs' exit command is fairly easy to remember, too:
esc-meta-alt-ctrl-super-X (for eXit). Obvious really.

I must admit, though, that I've never gotten used to ed; there are
advantages to having more than one different error message (`?').

I used something called 'em' for a while - way back - Editor for Mortals. It was sort of half-way between ed and vi, and I once wrote a screen based folding editor which I really liked, but alas no-longer have the source to...

These days I mostly use vi(m), but also use pico for email (inside pine). I keep meaning to change it to use vi, but never get round to it...

I ported emacs to a transputer based unix system once upon a time, but to do that, I needed to first port another editor - there were a few 'vi' clones avalable and I think I chose stevie - ST Editor for VI Enthusiasts (apparently!) which was avalable at the time. To do that I had to write the termcap library and to do that ... Ugh.. Sort of glad those days are over...

Gordon